CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you." ~ Friedrich W. Nietzsche


Hello!

This site still receives a lotta traffic. Thank you for your continued interest.

I am still currently writing horror/suspense/pulp only in longer form. Visit my alter ego HERE for continued updates and current fiction. And please, you can call me Jodi or whatever you called me before I went all nom de plume.

Thanks for the years of loyal friendship and support.


Thursday, October 1, 2009

#Fridayflash ~ Rabid

'Welcome to the city of lost parents - we will take care!' says the sign.


“I don’t know if we’re doing the right thing. Will they really be happy here?” I ask as we watch rabbits fester through torn tents.


A lady screams and something with curls, a red nose, and lots of white face paint chases her down the street on stilts.

“I already told you, the whistling deer head said they’ll be taken care of. I bet that lady was playing with the clown.”

“I don’t know. Perhaps we should just let them go in the country,” I say and turn to our duct taped parents in the backseat.

“It’s too late,” Greg says as the clowns open the passenger doors and snatch our parents away.




*Some of you will recognize this work previously published on my six sentences blog site . Thanks for reading again!The blog is going wonky. Sorry if the colors are strange and disturbing.

28 comments:

suzie bradshaw said...

That was freakin hilarious! Nice story-telling!

Lily Mulholland said...

Well! I sure haven't heard of rabbits festering before. The duct tape was a nice touch :)

Jodi MacArthur said...

Glad to make you smile, Suzie!

Lily ~ Thank you! It just occurred to me that I probably should write something more 'normal' next time. lol.

John Wiswell said...

Beats a retirement community! Write whatever you want. I think you've earned the right to experiment with normal and abnormal things at will.

Going over the stories tonight, I've come to appreciate the shorter ones like this. In and out so quickly, yet more memorable because neat details, like parents bound in duct tape, stand out in such brevity.

Jodi MacArthur said...

Thanks John. I think this is where you should send your kitten stomping crayon wielding fellow. ;p

Barry J. Northern said...

John's right. Short is good, particularly with the number of blogs I read. I mostly skim everything except this one and the Bathroom monologues because it's so fatiguing read large amounts of text from a screen. The colours are fine on this blog. White on black is good.

As for the story, it's fine to include 6S posts for #flashfriday imho. I like the freedom to experiment, especially if it turns up ideas like this. Drabblecast would love this one. Creepy clowns running an outdoor farm for washed-up parents. Strange. Great.

Michael Solender said...

simply stupendous! I think you rae getting your question answered! great stuff jodi.

Paul D Brazill said...

OOH. Great start to the day!

Linda said...

Coolio mundo Jodi. I simply won't show my kiddos ;^) Also like the rabbits festering, though I wonder what it IS they are festering.

Brevity is bliss... Peace, Linda

Clive Martyn said...

Whaaaat? love it :-) lol.

Laurita said...

Creepy-cool. What the heck is it about clowns? I love the starkness of the atmosphere.

Cat Russell said...

Cool and creepy! And I agree about the brevity...it is, after all, the soul of wit!

The clown thing is creepy,but clowns look like corpses anyway. Corpse white skin, red around the mouth and black around the eyes like they're decaying...*shivers* Ronald McDonald is the truly the stuff of nightmares.

I also love the idea of setting the parents loose in the country...LOL

Angel Zapata said...

This is totally freaky, Jodi. I'm just glad the clowns weren't chewing on carrots, 'cause I would definitely have nightmares tonight.

Blasé said...

There's a Clown in every crowd!

EC said...

I think the duct taped parents were me and my husband...and our children the clowns!
Nice FF!

Jodi MacArthur said...

This is purely an adult story - no kids allowed. We wouldn't want those kind of ideas entering their minds. Or perhaps they are already there and we don't want to encourage them....gulp. ;)

Thanks for stopping by and putting up with my bizarre writing!

Anonymous said...

I'm equally parts gigglesnorting and totally creeped by the clowns. Man, I LOVE this. Great job. :)

BillyPauleyJr.* is... said...

how morbidly cute! :) you are really so fun to read... both fears and tummy tickled... brilliantly unexpected... wow.

KjM said...

Oh my! Rabid clowns?

"I bet that lady was playing with the clown." - that line is wonderful.

LIghtening captured in a bottle - a good definition of this flash. I love it.

Jodi MacArthur said...

Lightening captured in a bottle - I love your definition KjM. Thank you!

Billy - morbidly cute - my mama would be so proud. (not!)
Thanks!

Jodi MacArthur said...

Netta ~ Can I gigglesnort with you? You're such a kick girl. ;)

Chris Chartrand said...

This was really cool. It made me laugh out loud, so kudos for that.
~chris
PS. I hate clowns :-)

Eric J. Krause said...

Very strange. And strange is good! Nice job.

Laura Eno said...

Loved it! Duct taped parents...

trev said...

I'm with Netta on the 50/50 giggles and creepy. It creates the kind if story that sticks with a reader.

Shaylen Maxwell said...

Hilarious! And any reference and picture of a rabbit works for me. Haha. I have a thing for bunnies as muse. Great blog. : )

J. M. Strother said...

It takes a moment for the full creepiness to really sink in. Particularly since I'm 'of a certain age.' Yikes!
~jon

David Masters said...

I loved how you turned everything inside out. Clowns are scary. The whistling deer sounds even more so.