CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you." ~ Friedrich W. Nietzsche


Hello!

This site still receives a lotta traffic. Thank you for your continued interest.

I am still currently writing horror/suspense/pulp only in longer form. Visit my alter ego HERE for continued updates and current fiction. And please, you can call me Jodi or whatever you called me before I went all nom de plume.

Thanks for the years of loyal friendship and support.


Friday, September 18, 2009

#fridayflash ~ Oh Hell, It’s Shail

The lake splayed before him with the illusion of clear blue waters lapping at a clean-cut shoreline, but underneath, hid the dirt and filth of ancient gods and abandoned second chances.


Evil lurked.


And that was why he sat atop the picnic table, his massive legs propped up on the metal BBQ, listening to the sound of his bowie knife as he stroked it across the wet stone. It prepared his mind, his thoughts, his soul - if he should loose the shattered pieces that were left.


The sun faded to a sliver upon the forest, and that glowing coal of pain, the pain that melted his stomach to the sewage it'd become, began its precursor to the hunt that would soon follow the swallowing of the slivered eye into a black sky.


He'd know precisely the moment of evening, for the frogs would not croak, the birds dare not sing, and the wild life would keep to their caves and burrows. Flames of red and hatred of fire would soon be brewing deep into the heart of the Devil's Eye, the pioneer nickname for the heart of the forest. He chanted the rhyme letting it calm his stomach, and sharpen his mind.


Swift night follows

shrink ye lake

for red oft follow

the devil's sake.


Black tarred spears

dripping with blood

spirals with antlers

the devil's flare flood.


Deep in the heart

of green and pines

they eat of the heart and souls true

mind you, you weary, o soul opine

for the Devil's Eye opens amongst you


Sharpen ye swords and knives of steel

And cut off their heads,

And crimson skin do peel

And when morn awakes and opens the sky

Silent it closes, the Devil's Eye


Shail blinked. Night was upon him. He set the wet stone aside and stood. His chest, bare and massive, inflated with furry. The red beings, holding their catches high and frolicking amongst the tree tops, fled to the heart of the forest, where their triumphs of the day would be sacrificed.


(An excerpt of the novel I’ll be writing during nanowrimo)

20 comments:

Michael Solender said...

Jodi-
This piece is wickedly delicious, made even more so by your devilish prose. supertastic!

Paul D Brazill said...

Well that's splendidly impressive!

Carrie Clevenger said...

You've got my attention. Looks to be a good read for your project. Thanks for sharing!

Laurita said...

This had me completely spellbound.

Angel Zapata said...

You know I'm a sucker for a good poem, and you managed to weave one in so easily. The whole Devil's Eye imagery totally creeps me out. I'll take an autographed copy of your book please.

Laura Eno said...

Welcome to #fridayflash, Jodi! The poetry is wonderful.

Jodi MacArthur said...

Thanks Guys! I felt nervous putting this up on my own blog. Don't ask me why. Love reading your flashfriday stories.

Dana said...

I like your lyrical style, at least in part because I cannot write that way :)

Wait though, if you've pre-written part of your nano, aren't you a big cheater? :P

Jodi MacArthur said...

Oh, what are they gonna do, hand cuff me? I'll learn how to type with my toes. ;)

Actually, this is taken from a short story that I decided to write into a novel. I haven't actually begun because I wanted to write it all in a 6 week span of time. I decided to dedicate all of November and half December to that. So...I don't think that counts as cheating. Maybe it does. I've never been very good about following rules. ;)

Thanks for the compliment.

Linda said...

I am enthralled. And the poetry is very nice.

Oh, Nano will be so much fun... Peace, Linda

Marisa Birns said...

Lovely, lyrical, wonderful...

Poetry worked very well in story.

Welcome!

Harry said...

Wow Jodi! Shail's sharpened his knife and he's taking off after all the evil in the forest? Feels epic already, can't wait for my copy!

Chris Chartrand said...

I'm hooked! This sounds like a great project and a great book. I did a character study this week for my NaNo project. It's not cheating, it's just writing. And yours is great.

chris

trev said...

Great job establishing mood & mystery. And Shail is an awesome character name - I'm totally jealous. I find naming characters most bothersome.

J. M. Strother said...

Dark and poetic, and I'm talking about the prose part! Very nicely done. I love your artwork too. The accompanying art is downright disturbing (in a good way). You are obviously a woman of many talents.

See you at NaNo. And in many #fridayflashes to come, I hope.
~jon

Barry J. Northern said...

Nice one, Jodi, and don't worry, rules are for losers!

I've stuck the old Nano 09 badge up on my blog now. I'm with you buddy! Still have made a firm decision on what novel to write, but the one about pregnant zombies is favourite to win right now.

Is your's going to be about demons? Sounds great.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to the novel - I love the lyricism of this piece. And you've certainly whet my appetite.

Jodi MacArthur said...

JM ~ Thank you for the compliments! Unfortunetly, the art work is not mine, but I thought it fit well and added mood. Glad you appreciated.

Barry! If in doubt - definitely go with pregnant zombies. Just remember they like sweaters and hot cocoa cause death is cold, but undeath is even colder. ;p Thanks, Buddy!

KJM ~ I'm a huge fan of your twitter haiku. Thanks for stopping by. ;)

Jodi MacArthur said...

Clever Trevor! Thanks. The name is a long story, but I have to agree with you. It's unusual and perfect for this dude.

MCrittenden said...

"And cut off their heads,
And crimson skin do peel.."
These are the trappings of excellent drama. Two thumbs up!