Other News
This baby mourning dove was rescued by a little girl down the street. She found it cuddled to its dead sibling in the hot afternoon sun (100 degrees).The girl knows I'm a bird lady, so she brought it to me. I've been feeding the chick a special Jodi blend with a syringe. It seems to be over the shock, and is happy as can be. SO CUTE. I had to share.
23 comments:
Awww, here's hoping the best for the little guy. Congrats to all the winners of Laurita's competition!
I second Carrie: awww! Good that you're a bird girl. Unfortunately for me, every time I try to help a winged friend I end up killing it, so now I just wish them the luck to find someone like you to help out. O_o
Congrats on the honorable mention! :)
I appreciate the sound of mourning doves. Hope yours continues to get better.
Thank you, Carrie!
Mari- I have a hard time with injured birds too. Other than being scared and dehydrated this little chick is perfectly fine. I was reading up on mourning doves today and was shocked to discover that only 70% of chicks make it due to predators. The doves are very slow and are so trusting.
David- I love their coo too. It's one of the things that I enjoy about the south.
So adorable. I'm a bit of a sucker for birds myself. I have a green-cheeked conure right here next to me. Thanks for the pic.
Jodi... My bud at work today told me a 30 minute-story (no joke) about these wayward ducks and chicks living near a tree at his house. And how they were attacked by a groundhog. He even went to lengths to Google Map View his story as an annotation.
oddly, I was compelled by it ;)
Lisa - Awww, one bird lover to another. Conures are wonderful, lively birds. I bet yours is super cute. Thanks for stopping by.
Anthony- that is so sad! I didn't realize groundhogs attack baby birds. It seems they are prey to just about everything.
Funny your bud pulled up his google map to show you.
Aw, so cute - we have a family of doves that return to our yard every year - probably the next generation each time. We love those birds.
Your baby is so cute, I hope he makes it!
Congrats to you and all the writers in Laurita's contest!
Jodi, your mention was honorable, and so are you. Your baby bird is sweet, and so are you. Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my blog.
A kind heart for orphan animals too? Isn't there anything evil or despicable about you? ;-)
Good luck to your bird and congratulations on your successes. You will soon rate your own Wiki entry.
--John
Anne, how neat about the family of doves. I hadn't realized the generations returned to the same place to nest. And thanks for reading!
Madame Z- I adore your work (and silliness). So it's a treat when you update your blog.
Thanks, Detective. I suppose I shouldn't tell you about the lips I have in a jar in the back of my freezer? ;-)
You're just great Jodi. The stuff you write and then you nurse a cute little birdy back from the brink. Hats off to you lady! Or do you have plans for the thing? :-)
Awe he is so so cute!
Congrats on a great contest
Thanks, Michelle! He... She...whatever it is, is soooo sweet and cute. Very similar to a baby duck or turkey. He sits right in my hand and nibbles at my fingers. On the floor he follows me around and lies down on my feet. He started chirping at me today. I thought he wanted to eat (these things eat like 5-6 times a day) but he just wanted to play. My heart is totally stolen.
Haha, David. I don't have My Little Carnivorous Pony's hanging around, so I think he's safe for the time being.
For now I'm having a blast. I <3 birds. ;-)
Congrats on the recognition!
I hope the little birdie is doing well. :)
Thank you, Jason. And yes, he's doing well. ;-)
Well done on the contest story, and even more well done on not only nurturing the little bird, but having cultivated a reputation as a bird lady in the first place.
That is a darned cute bird. It's lucky to have a bird lady like you to take care of it.
Congratulationson the honorable mention, Jodi!
Thanks guys!
Great story - you've got a cool interview up too, Mistress of the Macabre! Love the opening, your drive behind horror is frighteningly real, even when it is in disguise.
My husband and I saved a grebe on the beach once - took it to the Aquarium the next day, and they looked at us like whackos. I thought about saving them a bunch of spiders the next week;)
Thank you for reading the interview, Erin. Yes, my horror comes from reality in many senses.
How cute about the Grebe. I'm surprised the Aquarium treated you that way, it seems like a good idea to me. What else are you going to do with a sick sea bird? I wish you sent them the spiders. LOL. Thanks, hon.
I recently rescued a baby morning dove too, but didn't have much success. I read online that if you place them near where you found them, their parents will return -- the parents did, but I checked on Baby Birdie a few days later and he had passed on :(
I do see that mother and dad have re-built their nest and are trying for a new family...
Hope your little baby is doing well (so cute he wanted to play with you!) and love your music here!
Thanks Nicole! I heard the same thing about the Mourning Doves. The little girl had put it back in the tree with the sibling, but found them on the ground the next day. One of them were swarming with ants. I read somewhere that 70% of mourning dove chicks typically don't make it. So sad. They are such peaceful creatures. Thanks for visiting and glad you like the music. ;-)
Post a Comment